Our Favorites

Friday, September 30, 2011

Gary Indiana memories from the 1950's

Steel Mill and Smelter, Gary, Ind



Seal of the Great City of Gary Ind.














I didn't grow up in a steel mill town in the late 1950's and early 1960's but I visited one. My mother's family lived in Chicago so we drove over from Grand Rapids to Chicago about every 3 or 4 weeks. I always knew when we were getting close to Chicago because we'd pass through Gary, Indiana. The sky's were yellow and the air was full of sulfur and smelled like rotten eggs. I hated driving through that town. It smelled so bad I didn't belive human beings lived there. Today they don't. The air is crystal clear in Gary today. The steel smelters are gone as are the jobs and hope. It was the unions and environmental regulations that killed Gary. Too bad threre couldn't have been some compromise. You can see what Gary looks like today here. Gary Indiana Ghost-Town.
Iron Ore Freighter 

4 comments:

cpm said...

You mentioned that you could not believe that people lived there due to the foul air. Yet you blame the environmentalists for the loss of Steel work there. Do you wish that the air remain foul with industries using the cheapest, most polluting coal for power?

cpm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I AM AL NOWMAN I LIVED IN GARY FROM 1961 TIL 1980 I NEVER SMELLED FOUL AIR AND ILIVED AT 6TH AND MADISON 3 BLOCKS FROM THE STEEL MILLS

Anonymous said...

I’m interested in finding out about the old Tuxedo hotel on Adams....pictures, history etc....my family ran it...please post a link, pics etc